Saturday, April 18, 2009

God mothers, less the god bit... and less the mothers bit...

I do not believe in god, any god at all... but I still wanted baby E to have godparents... the reason for this is simply to have 1-2 other adults apart from the family, who is paying a special interest as she grows up. I had such great exchange with my godmother, who sadly passed away before she turned 50, and who baby E is named after, when I was growing up, so was looking to give baby E a similar set up.

We are very happy with our two godmothers (pure coincidence that the two most suitable candidates that also accepted, were women) for baby E, and I am convinced that they will provide that special connection as she grows up.

The question was how to get around the god bit... I started off wanting a baptism ceremony of sorts, but couldn't get my head around it... It didn't feel right to force her into a church like that - that should be her choice when she is an adult... and also didn't want to make a too big thing out of it. A naming ceremony felt a bit too... "new age-y hippi-ish" for us... so we ended up having a lovely lunch, just baby E, the H and I and the two godmothers. Perfect!

Now the remaining question is what to call them, as there is no god involved, nor are they really mothers (yet...). I suggested pasta-parents as I do believe in the flying spagetti monster... but the H put his foot down (he is a little bit religious but funnily enough not fussed about baptism or godparents at all, he thinks it's a nice thing, but nothing he would insist on...)

Suggestions?

2 comments:

Åsa Dahlqvist said...

I will add one god mother to Asta. Perhaps a Asta-Pasta-godmother (referring to your spagetti religion)?

Anonymous said...

Why not call them modders (instead of the swedish term fadder, but since they are both women seems more suitable with a feminine term).

Thank you for the very nice visit on Saturday and the presents to M&M, it was so good to see you and little E again!!!
Biiiiig hug/Lotta