Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Week 31: Go Russia!




Ok - so Zlatan and the other football gods had a night off when we met Russia last week and got brutally thrown out of the Euro Cup. I think the entire Swedish team had a night off actually... Russia played amazing, and I am now praying to the god of Arsenal, Wenger, that he will recruit the amazing Arsja, and the other one, the blonde one who didn't seem to ever get tired and got shots in from impossible angles all the time...

Regarding the Swedish contribution... It was quite clear to me. Old men vs Young boys don't work. Old style coaching a la Lars "I am going to stick to the ancient 4-4-2 formation with the boys I know since years back even if they aren't the quickest and most creative players I have to my disposal until someone kicks me out" vs new coaching a la Guus - who seems to know his opponents better than they do themselves and ALTERS the game plan accordingly (a new concept to Lagerback I'm sure). Can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of Lagerback now??? I have been saying this for the last three big tournaments..... but just like Mugabe, he seems impossible to move...

Anyways - onwards and upwards and I am now hoping that Russia can win this tournament - they've showed the best spirit and played the most fun football so far.

And Wenger.... please open up the walletski and spendski some rubelski!!








6 comments:

Klara said...

Brilliant. Couldn't agree with you more. Except I can't muster up excitements for Russia since they broke us. Instead I keep cheering for the loosers -Netherlands, then went to a game this weekend to see Australia loose to China. Should I cheer for Germany next, to ensure non-victory?

Roller Coaster said...

Don't worry, I have the same track record. Was rooting for the Dutch-skies when they too went down to the Russians in a very bleak way, then I went for the Russians who were totally obliterated by the powerful Spanish. Do really really not want boring German football to win (NOTHING against Germans, just the way they play football) and the Spaniards played fantastic last night... and there is the top man in the middle there, my favorite player of them all, Magical Fabregas....

So guess I should also go for Germany on Sunday to ensure they don't win??

Anonymous said...

First Arsenal, then Sweden and now Russia. I am sorry, the football teams don't obey you anymore, pregnant woman. Blame it at the hormones as you probably do with everything else right now.:-)
Now we have to cross our fingers for Spain!

Anonymous said...

We made our comment simultanousely, pregnant woman. You are right - just go for Germany! Buy a german hat, flag, everything you can find.

Roller Coaster said...

Ja wohl meine schone Frau!

Forza Deutschland!!

Roller Coaster said...

It worked!! :-) Fake cheering for Germany got Spain to the trophee :-) Positive and fun football won this tournament in the end! :-)