Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Conflicting emotions... (good mum/bad mum)

Am in a nice hotel in Boston when I am writing this, on my own, enjoying a nice, cold glass of savignon blanc, working away, getting things done, noone asking for my attention or help... and it is lovely...

...however when I saw "little girl E" (she is not a baby anymore so would be wrong to keep calling her that..) on skype earlier today, pointing to the screen and laughing, my heart hurt and the tears started coming. I do miss her so.

The flight over here two days ago was dreadful. I cried the entire time. Didn't help that I watched "the time travelers wife" which is a tear jerker in good conditions... I caught some empathetic looks from fellow passengers as well as some "get a grip" looks...

I am, as you can gather from the above, away from little girl E for a week's training with my job. First time I am away from her for longer than a day/night and whilst it is very hard for me and I miss her so much, it is also very nice to only have myself to worry about for once. I have to extend an apology to all the parents I know that I haven't really understood in the past when they have been expressing how difficult it is to be away from the little ones. I am sorry. I had no idea how much they get to feel like a part of you...

Anyways. I am LOVING my new job. It feels like I have ARRIVED! It is a great company, I have a great team, and it just feels right. I got into the swing of things scarily quickly - think it took me a couple of hours before it felt like working is the norm again... guess the 15 years of working in a business environment wins over the 13 months of working with being home with little one. And... it IS actually working really well. At least when all is "normal", i.e little girl E is not sick, the H is home etc. We have had a couple of weeks when E has been a bit poorly and also the H has been away and that is hard. But when everything is working, it works... E loves her nursery and is picking up lots of tricks from the other children and the carers there. I get the mornings to get to work early, the H takes the mornings with E. Then I do have to really rush in the afternoon to make it in time to pick up E, but that works fine too. The three hours we get in the evenings are actually really good quality time as well. I don't feel I miss out much. Really. Of course, it really requires a good team. Again, how single parents make it, I have no idea. Respect!

Writing this I do feel a bit teary as I miss the little one so, but at the same time, I really look forward to a night of undisturbed sleep... and a morning all to myself.... Life is never straightforward is it?

1 comment:

Åsa Dahlqvist said...

Försök att njuta av att vara ensam den här veckan! Inga blöjor, ingen matning, du får gå på toaletten utan sällskap, etc. :-)

Och förresten: STORT GRATTIS!!! I ett väldigt stort efterskott. Hörde på omvägar att festen blev lyckad och att din mamma och pappa hade gjort succé.